Tuesday, April 6, 2010

A voyage in jeapordy.

Well, some serious doubts about this whole trip have arisen due to mechanical problems.  It's been two days and I'm stuck in Grand Forks, ND sitting in a GMC dealership.  Here is a quick overview of the troubles my vehicle is experiencing.  For the entire trip I've experienced sputtering that I attributed to a spark plug getting fouled up.  This has reoccured now even after putting in a new plug at the problem cylinder.  In the northern states the speed limit is usually 70mph.  Any kind of incline would drop me down to a dangerous 50mph.  It became this bad on Easter Sunday, which means all the auto shops in the small towns I was traversing were closed.  Being frustrated at my very late schedule, I decided to push on to Fargo, ND and simply call AAA if I broke down along the way.  Night was starting to fall about 50 miles from Fargo so the headlights were turned on.  All of a sudden the sputtering disappears.  Hah!  That's an amusing coincidence.  I turn the lights off, it starts sounding like a poorly tuned go-kart.  Lights are back on and it sounds like a proper small block.  No way!!  This can't be it.  Lights off, and it performs like an RC car that is low on batteries, lights on and the blue beast comes to life.  Ok, so the lights stay on and I continue on to Grand Forks.  Two days later and the GMC mechanics can't figure it out either.  And to top it all off I was hearing some noises that could have been as bad as transmisison or brake issues.  This turned out to be the drum brakes and the rear axle seals.  My drums are so bad that the have to be cut.  The most challenging terrain is yet to come and my car, especially the brakes, must be in order.

On a prior post I mentioned how nice this dealership is.  Let me go into detail on that now.  After arriving and checking in the car was passed on to the mechanics.  They thouroughly inspect the vehicle and provide a print out of any issues that were found, how urgently they must be taken care of, and the pricing of the work.  It is all highlighted accordingly in either green, yellow, or red. 

Although this is taking forever, I have to give the mechanic here credit.  He tries a fix, takes the car for a drive, comes back, tries something else, goes for a drive, and does this the entire shift.  He has not quit.  If Tire Kingdom had been this thoughrough maybe this would have been resolved then.  They were very quick to say "it's the plugs, here you go, give us money" in not so many words.  It is my suggestion after my last experience that everyone should avoid Tire Kingdom.  Most of the mechanics there seemed inexperienced and there was no one knowledgeable guiding them.

Although I'm stuck at a dealership I'm not miserable.  Rydell Auto Center provides wi-fi, soda fountain drinks, slurpee like drinks, hot chocolate, cookies, TV, and faxes all for free. 

The garage is unlike anything I've seen before except at my old central truck terminal.  Everything is indoors.  When you approach the service area there are several big garage doors.  One drives up close and they automatically open.  Inside, depending on the lane, customers either pull over a trench where the mechanics can stand underneath the car to change the oil and filter easily  These are the regular maintenance bays.  For service due to issues, customers pull up to stand alone registers where your problems are explained to the representative.  You simply leave the car there where it is passed through another set of garage doors to the proper service area.  Most garages are dark, oily, relatively small grimy caves.  This place is immaculate for a shop.  Not quite like some of the Nascar garages, but not too far.

Due to all of my expenses lately, I cannot continue to Alaska with my current funds.  It's too risky because if I do not find employment there quickly my money will be exhausted and I will be stuck without a means to return home or anywhere else.  So as things stand now they may go one of two ways. First, I get a job offer by tomorrow in Alaska.  While I've been sitting at GMC most of my time has been devoted to finding work.   This will insure income when I arrive which means there is no concern of not having shelter, sustanance, and funds to bail out if needed.  There is a company that is VERY interested there so this is likely.  Scenario two, I don't get a job in Alaska but I get one here in North Dakota.  This will allow me to replenish my bank account some buying me time to search for work in Alaska and have plenty for any further repairs along the way.  I'm already half way there so I don't need to save as much.  Three, this turns into an all out bust and I return to Florida with my tail between my legs and become an over the road driver again.  This third option is not really much of a thought right now.  It would be much too embarrassing after all these preparations, talks, and planning to return home.  I'll have more news tomorrow.  There will most likely be another post tonight related to the hotel I'm going to stay at, but that's an entry in and of itself.  Salutations from Grand Forks to all!

No comments:

Post a Comment