Thursday, April 8, 2010

Alaska trip update.

It's been a bit since my last post, but that's because I've been in a holding pattern of sorts.  When I woke up this morning, aside from having ice on the windows, my truck was completely dead.  I was able to get a jump, but it took forever to to charge.  There's an O'Reilly's Auto Parts near where I was staying so I got the battery tested.  Sure enough it was bad so I ate further into my funds and got a new one with better cold weather starting.  Temperatures dropped to 27 last night which was a little too cold for my bag.  Fairbanks will not be any better with a low hitting 11 in the evening.

My best bet for work here and in Alaska is to go back to driving.  Unfortunately my DOT physical card is expired.  No place was able to take me same day to complete this.  To top it all off I know it's time for new glasses so I may fail the vision portion of the exam.  An eye appointment was canceled at a Walmart optomitrist where I checked availability.  Luckily I passed my exam and got a prescription for glasses as soon as I can afford them.  On Friday I have an appointment for the rest of the exams.  In the mean time I've tried to be productive and have applied at various places ranging from Arby's to a fiberglass shop that makes blades for windmills.  Below you'll find a picture of one of these blades.  All the while I've been in contact with a company in Fairbanks who is interested in employing me.  Assuming I pass my physical tomorrow, I will cross into Canada and start trucking towards Fairbanks.  All this potential employer has left to do is my background screening which should be no problem since my record is clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment