Saturday, March 13, 2010

And so it begins ...

There are only a couple of weeks left before I start my 5,000 mile drive to Alaska.  For the most part I'm done purchasing gear and am ready to make my truck liveable for the ride up. It will need to be a comfortable place to stay while I find work and an apartment.  My inspiration for this project was Branden Johnson's site and http://www.bajataco.com/Camper1.html.  Due to my time constraints I'm keeping things simple and will modify them later as time permits and ideas arise.  For example there probably won't be any opening panels in my version or as many dividers underneath to start.

So far I cleaned the outside of the truck so the windows are ready to be waterproofed with silicone.  Unfortunately the skull stayed on the grill and took a beating at the automatic car wash, but it survived!  It should make the entire trip.  I've purchased most of the supplies to make the frame and bed platform.  My total cost for the truck modifications are about $10 on the silicone and caulk gun; and about $55 on the cut to order wood, screws, and L brackets for a grand total of about $65.  All four 2x4's are in place with the bed platform on top.  Nothing's been screwed down since I'm still drawing and planning.  Pictures will be up within the next day.

No comments:

Post a Comment